Time really flies. Today, Muffles turns four. Convert the dog years to human years and my little pup is about 28 years old. Time really flies.
Now as with all our loved ones’ birthdays, one can never celebrate it without a cake right? So staying true to the tradition, my sister and I hit the kitchen, and set about baking the birthday boy a birthday cake – canine style. 😁
Basically, you’ll need every ingredient that you see in the image above. You may adjust the quantity of ingredients used, depending on the size of your Fido. We used it in the following quantity:
- Half an apple, chopped
- 1kg of minced lamb
- 2 sweet potatoes, roughly cut
- 1 large carrot, roughly cut
- 3/4 cup of rolled oats
- 125g of French Beans, chopped
- 50g of Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter
The above recipe makes enough for five days worth of food for Muffles.
- Preheat the oven at 160-degree Celsius and prep all your ingredients accordingly.
- Put the sweet potato and carrot into a pot and boil until cooked.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pack the meat mixture into a rectangular baking tray and bake in the oven for 45 mins or until the meat loaf turns brown.
- Remove the sweet potatoes and carrots from the pot and mash with 1 teaspoon unsalted butter. Set aside.
- Remove the meat loaf from the tray and portion out.
- Serve with the potato-carrot mash.
The result: A delicious meat loaf and a very happy birthday boy! Haha.
Of course, it wasn’t just cake and 30 seconds of belly-satisfaction. I’ll be sharing what else we did for muffles on his birthday in another blog post. ☺️